Watton-at-Stone will continue to be a thriving village hub, with a strong and diverse community. It will be well-served by green spaces, local amenities, good physical and digital infrastructure, and will support local enterprise. The parish will protect all aspects of its heritage, including the character of its dwellings, its natural environment and rural setting. At the same time, the village will welcome new residents and accept thoughtful, well-designed, sustainable development, in line with the needs of existing and future residents, and balanced by appropriate additional infrastructure and amenities for the expanded community.
This section gives an overview of the themes that we aim to address with our policies.
• Objective 1: Deliver a housing growth strategy tailored to the needs and context of WAS to 2033 and beyond.
• Objective 2: Ensure that brownfield sites are prioritised for new housing developments where possible.
• Objective 3: Ensure any new housing is in keeping with the surrounding area, presenting favourable vistas, enriching the area, lying low in the Beane Valley and protecting the
village’s historic character and rural identity.
• Objective 4: Development should be of high-quality design with a mix of house types suitable for the future needs of the village.
• Objective 5: New development will have a density that balances the sensitive semi-rural setting with the efficient use of land and preservation of high-quality agricultural land.
• Objective 6: Maintain a clearly defined and sustainable village boundary.
• Objective 7: Promote safe, accessible public streets and spaces.
• Objective 8: Seek to reduce traffic impacts of development.
• Objective 9: Ensure appropriate parking solutions are implemented as a result of new development.
• Objective 10: Encourage the use of sustainable transport; lobby for a better bus
service and retaining rail services; promote, maintain and improve the current network of cycle routes footways and public footpaths.
• Objective 11: Position development so it is well connected to bus stops, the school, and village facilities.
• Objective 12: Support the village’s key community services and facilities.
• Objective 13: Seek on-going improvements to utility infrastructure
and digital connectivity.
• Objective 14: Ensure adequate provision for parish children to attend the village primary school.
• Objective 15: Facilitate the development of new football facilities.
• Objective 16: Make the most of WAS’s rural aspect and landscape setting protecting key views.
• Objective 17: Maintain and enhance nature conservation, wildlife and biodiversity.
• Objective 18: Protect the historic fabric, including listed buildings, non-designated heritage assets and the Conservation Area and its setting.
• Objective 19: Encourage appropriate use of Green Belt for sensitively designed outdoor leisure.
• Objective 20: Support appropriate development for local businesses.